By Michael wicks.
The Great Lineal Myth.
I have little doubt that if Fury had no claim to this defunct and worthless bauble, he would not be in the position of fighting for the title.
The Wilder camp and Deontay himself has made it clear they consider this would place him in the upper echelon of Heavyweights like Dempsey, Louis, Ali , Lewis But it is a huge misconception.
The lineal title does not exist even back as far as Lennox Lewis , why you may ask ? let me explain . The Following is a brief history of the modern lineage lineage and how the link(s) has been broken on multiple occasions. It’s a simple argument and in all honesty can be highlighted from the time the rock retired.
Marciano retired and Patterson was given the lineal title. He in effect is the start of the modern lineage. It continued through to Clay who was forced into retirement. Frazier started a new line. This was broken when Ali retired. Holmes acquired the Lineal title. This line remained unbroken til Lewis retired in 2004.
Five years later in 2009 Wladimir Klitschko is declared the Lineal and then Fury won it by defeating Wlad. Once again It was then broken when Fury retired and was stripped of his titles. Even if you consider Fury still has a claim to the title it is only traceable back to Wlad and that’s debatable at best, The 5 year period between Lewis and Wlad killed the continuity, unfortunately Wilder and some of his fans cling to this concept and give credence to this cynical mismatch. In no way if wilder beats fury does this put Wilder in the lineal heavyweight club with the likes of Louis Ali Johnson Sullivan and co .
Below is the list of all lineal heavyweight champions , right or wrong.
- John L. Sullivan (1885–1892)
- James J. Corbett (1892–1897)
- Bob Fitzsimmons (1897–1899)
- James J. Jeffries (1899–1905; retired)
- Marvin Hart (1905–1906)
- Tommy Burns (1906–1908)
- Jack Johnson (1908–1915)
- Jess Willard (1915–1919)
- Jack Dempsey (1919–1926)
- Gene Tunney (1926–1928; retired)
- Max Schmeling (1930–1932)
- Jack Sharkey (1932–1933)
- Primo Carnera (1933–1934)
- Max Baer (1934–1935)
- James J. Braddock (1935–1937)
- Joe Louis (1937–1949; retired)
- Ezzard Charles (1949–1951)
- Jersey Joe Walcott (1951–1952)
- Rocky Marciano (1952–1956; retired)
- Floyd Patterson (1956–1959)
- Ingemar Johansson (1959–1960)
- Floyd Patterson (1960–1962)
- Sonny Liston (1962–1964)
- Cassius Clay / Muhammad Ali (1964–1970; suspended)
- Joe Frazier (1970–1973)
- George Foreman (1973–1974)
- Muhammad Ali (1974–1978)
- Leon Spinks (1978)
- Muhammad Ali (1978–1979; retired)
- Larry Holmes (1980–1985)
- Michael Spinks (1985–1988)
- Mike Tyson (1988–1990)
- Buster Douglas (1990)
- Evander Holyfield (1990–1992)
- Riddick Bowe (1992–1993)
- Evander Holyfield (1993–1994)
- Michael Moorer (1994)
- George Foreman (1994–1997)
- Shannon Briggs (1997–1998)
- Lennox Lewis (1998–2001)
- Hasim Rahman (2001)
- Lennox Lewis (2001–2004; retired)
- Wladimir Klitschko (2009–2015)
- Tyson Fury (2015–2016; vacated)